Re: WHO sounds good

At 04:30 PM 05/13/96 -0400, Brian.Cady@turner.com wrote:
>     ^^My Generation
>
>     ^^Original Brunswick UK or
>     ^^Virgin reissue vinyl
>
>     When I recently made myself a tape copy of MG, I found I preferred the
>     Brunswick to the Virgin for what seemed to me a cleaner mono sound.
>     Of course, not everyone has this option. (it cost me a lot 20 years
>     ago; I can imagine now)

I believe it has not risen much thanks to the Virgin reissue. I paid $100
for mine around twenty years ago.

>     ^^A Quick One (aka "Happy Jack")
>
>     I've always meant to ask you wf, is it true that all tracks (except
>     "See My Way" and "Happy Jack") have been released in stereo somewhere?
>     I think I have them all from either the U.S. LP or the French "The
>     Who" LP.

That is correct. I have heard that "See My Way" was made as a demo by
Townshend and Daltrey. I have always wondered what happened to the
multi-tracks of "Happy Jack", "Pictures of Lily" and "Heaven and Hell." At
least Shel Talmy didn't lose any.

>     ^^Although I maintain the mono mix of this album is depressing to
>     ^^listen to...
>
>     I prefer the stereo, too, except for "Run Run Run" which has that
>     great feedback.  Natuarally this is the one track on the new CD that
>     have in stereo.

I agree there also. I have always preferred the mono "Run Run Run."

>     ^^Magic Bus
>
>     ^^I'll only say this about that... The ORIGINAL Decca version has the
>     ^^BEST studio version/mix of the title track (true stereo). The MCA CD
>     ^^is worthless, unless you have to have the 2nd version of "Dr. Jekyll
>     ^^& Mr. Hyde" on CD...
>
>     I'm not exactly sure what you mean here.  Are you saying the stereo
>     "Magic Bus" on the CD is different from the original LP.  Sounds true
>     stereo on mine.

It's getting confusing. I don't have the "Magic Bus" CD but I believe the LP
version is on the "Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy" CD. However, the long 4:28
version is only on the "Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy" LP. Got that? :-)

Joe
-----
Joe Giorgianni
South Glens Falls, NY  12803

If you are interested in the Who and their records please check out my web
page at:

http://www.capital.net/users/giorgian/