Re: Rough Boys/Gay Life

> Well, you can only correct me if you have BOTH the "radio show" interview and
> the book. I own a vinyl promo copy of the Timothy White interview (You don't
> think I got the "Penny Drop" and <partial> "Dig" demos from a magazine
> interview, do you?). What Pete *SAID* on the interview was NOT what was
> *WRITTEN* in the book.
>
> When I heard the "furor" about Pete's statements and heard it came from THAT
> interview, I saw the book in the bookstore and knew right away that Pete
> never said that <Picard>. When YOU get the radio interview and hear Pete's
> words, then feel free to quote him on that issue...
>
> Now, whether Pete is "bi" or not, that's another story. I'm just saying he
> never said it there...

The rock media really blew this out of proportion from the get-go.  First
of all, reading the interview as printed in "Rock Lives" isn't anything
close to what was "interpreted".  What Pete interpreted "Rough
Boys" to be about was nothing less than just simple "male bonding".  It's done
in various sports bars across the US nightly.  You're out with
your friend the evil :) Cowboys fan downing a few beers while you watch your
favorite team take the crap out of Dallas.  Your friend is getting ribbed
into submission by you and a few others, but only chooses to pick a fight
with you.  Once his frustation is released, the scene returns to normal.

Pete also talks about "knowing what it's like to be a female" (in so many
words).  This doesn't mean he's a transvestite or anything of that
nature, it just suggests that the man has a sensitive side.  When he
writes compositions like "And I Moved" he is looking at the world from
the eyes of a female.  Does that mean he needed to be mounted by someone
for this happen?  Of course not. Pete also added that if you can't see
the big picture (again paraphrasing) from both sides than you're not true
to yourself as an artist.  He definately has a point there.

If Pete is truly a bi-sexual, I have no problem with it.  However his own
words from the "Rock Lives" book would suggest that he's not.   He said
he was upset that gay activists would approach him as "coming out" with
the song "Rough Boys" when they truly missed the point.