Re: WN vs QUAD

>  When I saw The Who at the end of 1971, Keith was still in fine form,
>playing his trademark double-bass, triple-tom set. When I next saw them at
>the end of 1973, on the first U.S. stop of their Quad tour, Keith was
>almost hidden behind a second layer of deep tom-toms, and he wasn't playing
>as well.

And when I saw him in `75, he was unbelievable. I would imagine that it
varied night by night, depending on what he was "doing" that day.

>  As far as a "sentimental fav among the die hards", my vote still goes to
>their first album. Maybe you had to have been there in 1965-66 and
>experienced the week-to-week goings on in pop music to appreciate that
>album for what it meant at the time. I don't know. It's a thought.

MY GENERATION was certainly the album which had the most effect on Rock
music. But, in my humble opinion (which is bound to be trashed by morning),
QUAD was the album that put it all together...subjectwise, it defined Rock
music. The music was far ahead of its time, and predicted the next 20+ years
of Rock (it's still happening today). It was the "adulthood" of Rock looking
back at its own origins...and defining it. Was it overblown? It might have
seemed so at the time (not by me), but compared to what followed from other
bands, I'd say no.
My own experience with QUAD was as follows: The day after Xmas (when the
record stores finally opened and I could use my certificate), me with
headphones clamped tightly, and the new (double!!!) Who album. The sound of
the ocean began roaring through my head (which I can relate to, since I live
by the sea)...a lonely horn plays in the distance...the breakers crash over
a rock..."Is it me, for a moment...for a moment...for a
moment."...rain...and so on.
The raw power and pain of The Real Me, which was certainly an adult I Can't
Explain...the needle-like bursts of guitar on Cut My Hair...the
self-proclaiming I'm One...the frustration of Is It In My Head...the resolve
and pure Punk of I've Had Enough...The beauty and reality of Sea And
Sand...the bravado of Dr. Jimmy...the resolution of Love Reign O'er Me...
Anyway, four sides later I knew that The Who had once again taken Rock to a
new height...and it was pure Rock, unlike the symphony TOMMY. Pure Rock at
its finest.
Just another word or a hundred about Sea And Sand, which I've fallen in love
with all over again just by thinking about it. Is there anything more Rock
music than the sentiments found here? My Generation the next day, that's
what it is. Dealing with the consequences of rebellion ("They finally threw
me out..."). Blaming someone else ("My dad couldn't stand on two feet/As he
lectured about morality..."). Beauty in life ("UV lights making starshine of
her smile..."). Proclaiming oneself just to hear it, which almost makes it
real ("I'm dressed up better than anyone within a mile..."). Beauty in love
("Come sleep on the beach/Sleep within my reach/I just want to die with you
here..."). Finding good in your situation, however bad ("I'm wet and I'm
cold/But thank God I ain't old/Why didn't I say what I mean/I should have
split home at 15...").
Capped by a pure Who jam.
Was there ever a better song than this? If so, Pete wrote it and it was
performed by The Who.
BTW, I think the drums on this song are perfect counterpoints to the music.
Especially good in the jam at the end.
Where's my gold disc?

                   Cheers                   ML