No Subject

David C Olstein wrote:

        Granted, they haven't given us everything we wanted, but the Who
reissues are still better than nearly every other rock artist reissue on
the market..

I reply:

Capitol did a hell of job when they started re-issuing the McCartney catalog,
although the music in his solo career isn't all top notch...
And I don't know just what the new Who stuff is like, but the Ryko releases
of David Bowie's career are spectacular.  Those are the best CD reissues that
I have in my collection.

David added:
I wouldn't mind having a box set of unreleased Who material either, but
then again, I don't think the Anthology series really makes up for the
uninspired Beatles catalog CDs, which (unlike the Who CDs), have no bonus
tracks and (with the exception of Sgt. Pepper) no special packaging.

And I add:
The packaging for the Beatles cds isn't great, but it's a little more than
standard for rereleases of older music from the time it came out.  Look at
the shit for packaging that the Who's first cds have.  It's just songwriter
credits, and if you're lucky a picture or two.  Besides, I don't know if I'd
want to judge the value of discs by bonus tracks.  I bought Sgt. Pepper for
the original tracks, same with Who's Next, same with Ziggy Stardust.  Bonus
tracks are just extras, in my opinion.

David added:
Actually Crossroads 2, a four CD box set consisting almost exclusively of
live recordings of Clapton between 1974 and 1978 is due out next month.
And, not to be outdone, Rykodisc has released 6 double CD sets of live
Frank Zappa material (the You Can't Do that Onstage series).

I add:
Don't forget that Zappa probably has more live discs than anyone else, thanks
to his "Beat the Boots" campaign.

Gary