Re: LAL recording techniques

>I remember that Lou Reed made some effort in the `70s to record a live album
>from the audience's perspective...by making "heads" suspended over the crowd
>with the mikes on the side like ears. Whether or not this resulted in the
>excellent ROCK AND ROLL ANIMAL & LOU REED LIVE, I can't say (`cause I'm not
>sure exactly when he did it). But I don't hear anything on those two that
>differ significantly from other live albums..

A Deadhead buddy of mine was in school at that time (early 70s) to become a
recording engineer, & was doing some experiments using the "artificial Head
system", with a styrofoam dummy head hollowed out with mics where the ears
should be. he recorded 2 Dead shows (Springfield & hartford '73) on the
system, you get a real 3-D feel for the show (especially when the girl on LSD
starts carrying a conversation with the head!)  Lou did indeed adopt this
method of recording in the mid 70s - the important thing is to listen with
headphones!

best, GaryM