Re: records shows

> From: kindari@jcc-uky.campus.mci.net
> Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 10:23:02 -0400 (EDT)
> Subject: Re: record shows
>
> >As for the "crackdown" of bootlegs. I probably like it
> >less than most of you ... I do believe that they have the
> >right to "control" their product per the agreement that
> >they signed.
>
>      *I* didn't sign their agreement. I *do* pay for the
> experience of a concert performance when I buy a ticket.
> And the right to a performance certainly doesn't carry
> any necessary right to control how it is distributed
> later ...

As you said, you pay for the experience of the concert -- not a tape
or pictures of it (actually, you're paying for the right to be in the
building or location, usually in a specific seat, while the concert
occurs.)  You didn't sign anything, but you don't have a right to see
the performance under any and all circumstances (for example, walking
in without paying if there is an admission charge).  Your ticket
(assuming tickets are required) is your license to attend.  If on that
ticket it says (check the back) you can't bring in recording
equipment, photo equipment, or wear red shoes, that's it.  You're
admitted subject to those conditions -- which, obviously, is why you
have no recourse if your tape, film, or red shoes are confiscated.  (A
posted notice would serve the same purpose if there are no tickets.)

- --
Alan McKendree        amck@eden.com        512-478-9900 x206
Adhesive Media, 101 W. 6th St., Ste. 210, Austin, TX   78701