A reply to Gregg Biggs

Gregg Biggs said this:

>>>That being said - the collector side of me wants more music than is
released by the band or record label because we love The Who.  We have a big
dichotomy here indeed. So, how does this situation get resolved?  I would lke
to hear some solid responses to this.<<<

It always seemed to me that the most logical thing to do is to release all of
the artist's material (live, studio, demo) that is available.  That is, all
the stuff the record company can get its hands on.  This could in a sense
glut the market and perhaps make bootlegs less appealing.  The record company
might counter this argument by saying it's not cost-effective and that the
target consumers may not be that big a group.  Well, it seems to be either
you undercut the bootlegger  by making your product more attractive or you
shut up and live with the situation.  The problem still remains, though, of
how to stop bootlegging in the first place, particularly boots of live shows
made by Joe Blow with a good, portable recording system.  The solution to
this is to crackdown on search-and-seizure as concert-goers enter the venue.
 Of course, then this may instill a sense of resentment from the fan toward
the artist.

I agree with Greg:  we don't have a divine right to this unofficially
available music.  However, that doesn't decrease my desire for it.

I doubt that we'll reach a solution with which we will all be happy.
 Bootlegs having become a part of rock and roll culture, and giving up
something that we have become accustomed to is going to be difficult.

- --Jim