Re: Lifehouse tapes

On Tue, Jul 9, 1996 8:54:55 PM  at TheWho-Digest-Owner@igtc.com wrote:

>From: chris@trn.or.jp (Chris Hinkle)
>>Perhaps if the Pet Sounds box set does well, MCA will consider devoting a

>>box set to the Lifehouse sessions (only five more years until the 30th
>>anniversary).
>
>This is a really good idea, and not without precedent.

Elaborate "complete sessions" boxes are getting to be fairly common in the
jazz world (e.g., the Complete Charlie Parker Savoy Recordings, The
Complete Charles Mingus CBS Recordings, etc.).  In the rock world however,
the only attempt so far has been the 20th Anniversary Layla box set and the
much delayed Pet Sounds box set.  I think Who's Next/Lifehouse would be a
logical choice, but I'm not exactly holding my breath.

>>the way, does anyone know if Astley & Co. have recovered any more of the
>>famous Olympic Studios dumpster tapes (some of which ended up on
Lifehouse
>>to Leeds).
>I thought I read that the "owner" of the tapes gave them back to
>Astley/Pete or whomever.

Apparently, the person who recovered the tapes from the Olympic Studious
dumpster sold or auctioned off the various tapes to more than one person.
Some mulitracks were bought by a bootlegger who arranged to have them mixed
for the Lifehouse to Leeds release, and those tapes were returned to Astley
& Co.  But I don't think that person had all the tapes -- otherwise I would
have expected to see more studio material on the L to L boot.