Re: Ticket Distribution

     Lauren asked if I would mind posting this prior
e-mail to the list, so here it is:

>Date: Sun, 07 Jul 1996 17:36:05
>To: NakedEye10@aol.com
>From: RWNomad <Kindari@jcc-uky.campus.mci.net>
>Subject: Re: Ticket Distribution
>
>     I've watched the discussion with the interest
>of a free-market fan who's been into the "aftermarket"
>only a couple of times and thought you might like a
>*friendly* unexpected pat on the back ...
>
>At 03:05 AM 7/7/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>I'm just trying to help people on both ends
>>and end up with my ticket every night at a
>>price I can somewhat afford. Do you understand
>>now?
>
>     Nothing wrong with either objective that
>I can see ...
>
>>Perhaps I'll send this to the list. I haven't
>>re-read it yet to see if I need change what
>>I've said in order to protect myself from attack.
>>Too bad I even have to think that way.
>
>     Folks who hate scalpers or scalping won't
>like what you have to say or what you're trying
>to do, even though there's a lot to be said for
>dealing fairly in an inherently "unfair" situation.
>So you needn't take it too personally. FWIW, I've
>checked my own second- and third-hand channels for
>MSG, and the results are about the same as you found
>pricewise. So your contacts seem to be giving you
>the "friend-to-friend" discount from market prices
>as advertised. Sounds to me like you've done well
>for yourself and whomever has called you for tix.
>
>Best regards,
>
>Bob

     In a free market situation, the primary issues
for me are (1) disclosure and (2) informed consent
based on that disclosure. So far, I've been lucky
enough not to need to work the aftermarket and not
obsessed enough with seeing a particular band in a
particular place to do it anyway. I don't see that
as a license to condemn those who need or want to
do so. Once Lauren disclosed that her work basically
splits the difference between insiders and strangers
in the streets of the aftermarket, my interest and
concern are over -- people can make informed decisions
for themselves.

*Still* best regards,

Bob

Bad defeats Good then self-destructs ...