Re: Two questions

Scott, re:

<< Mixing is definitely a series of comprimises.  >>

I don't disagree with that statement. In the case of "Sell Out", it couldn't
have been done that way since the thing was done on a 4 track and several
instruments were tied together on the same track, making it very difficult,
if not impossible to separate. However, the "Leeds" sound that I'm looking
for was actually somewhat accomplished on the NY "Lifehouse" tracks. The
studio "Baby Don't You Do It" on "From Lifehouse To Leeds" (the new "Who's
Next" version is cut in half and has the drums toned down) is what I'm
talking about. It has the "Leeds" feel, but obviously recorded in the studio.

For "Quadrophenia", I believe they could have done the same thing. Starting
with the basic elements, separating them and boosting them, then adding all
the "other" stuff in-between. I prefer a "BIG" sound, not this compressed
<Picard>. For some reason, Pete never really liked that "open" sound. The
only time he used it in the studio was on "Rough Mix" and surprisingly, Jon
Astley was the co-producer!

- -wf