Re: Two questions

>>From: WFang01@aol.com
>>Date: Thu, 4 Jul 1996 18:21:01 -0400
>>Subject: Re: Two questions

>>Litgo, re:

>><<  I would still prefer a remaster from the original tapes with the only
remixing be that of boosting the vocal tracks. >>

>>What I don't seem to understand, is why these things can't be mixed to
sound
>>like "Leeds"??? Everything UP FRONT! It's like their saying, "let's see
what
>>we can stick further in the back or compress the most." Where I say, open
the
>>whole <Riker> thing up!

>>- -wf

Fang-

At most major recording consoles there is a knob that the engineers call the
ELTEE knob.  It is an acronym for Everything Louder Than Everything Else.
 They turn it when the client/artist has been asking for each instrument to
be turned up one at a time.

But I know how you feel about LAL-I've never heard a more dramatic
improvement in a re-release.  Unfortunately I don't know how you feel about
QUAD since I'm in Canada and it won't be available here until July 10th.
 It's easier to mix a live album than a studio album simply because in the
case of LAL you have 4 sound sources to deal with, whereas on a studio
recording you have multiple tracks of instruments and overdubs as well as
punch-ins and crossfades.  And we don't know how carefully the master tapes
have been handled throughout the years.

Mixing is definitely a series of comprimises.

Scott