stupid questions

        I can't believe what my father asked me.

        "Who's the greatest rock band ever to grace the planet: Led Zeppelin
or the Who?"

        My answer was "You said it."

        He didn't quite get it, so I explained that I thought the Who was
the greatest rock band ever to grace the planet.  I couldn't convince him.

Dad        "Jimmy Page is a better guitar player!"
Me        "He stole half of his songs from old bluesmen.  Pete can write."
Dad        "Jones can play keyboards AND guitar!"
Me        "The Who didn't need keyboards.  Keith and John made enough
background                 noise to make up for it."
Dad        "Bonham was louder!"
Me        "He needed 4 sticks.  Keith could work magic with two, and drum a
thousand times better."
Dad        "Plant was a better singer."
Me        "Roger was (and still is) better-looking, AND he can still do the
screech at the end of 'Won't Get Fooled Again'" [Dad loves the
Who's Next album, but that's it]

        I had to admit that the Who weren't as musically talented as
Zeppelin, but they sure could put on a concert.  He agreed that Zeppelin
couldn't improvise as well, encumbered as they were by the Hammond Organ.

        Finally, we had to get down to lyrics.  I think I won that part of
the debate.

Me        "Look at the body of work by Pete Townshend, and compare it to
Plant                 (since Pagey didn't write all that many lyrics -
couldn't do it,                 I don't think).  Pete's work is a helluva
lot more                              introspective, and all-encompassing!"

        He's had enough beers by then that he couldn't fight that, and we
continued where we'd left off with something else musical.

        Who's the greatest rock band ever to grace the planet?
        That's a stupid question.  The answer is built right in.

JenniferD
A Guitar          _________
(Courier font)
"Tommy, can you hear me?"