musing about the oo

this is from the smile-digest, a BEACH BOYS mailing list:

From: "Stephen P. Espinola" <spe9237@is2.NYU.EDU>
 Sun Dec  7 13:17:06 PST 1997
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:10:22 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Beachboysish songs

Here's a few beach boysish songs:

>From XTC: Season's Cycle (but only kinda)
Chalkhills & Children

>From XTC's alter ego The Dukes of Strotofear: "Pale & Precious" (THIS is
my winner--the ultimate condensed Pet Sounds/Smile/Smiley Smile,
theremin, organ & Mike Love bopping along.  Great tune, great
arrangement, and it's also hilarious)

Much of the early Who, 1965-7, was basically the Beach Boys on heavy
amphetamines:  Check out albums "Meaty Beaty Big & Bouncy", "My
Generation", "A Quick One/Happy Jack", "The Who Sell Out", and especially
their Keith Moon-driven surf EP, "Ready Steady Who".  Yes, the vocals are
rougher, but the sound in based on the BBs' vocals.   "In My Room" and
"Don't Worry Baby" were Keith Moon's favorite songs.

Specific songs: "I Can See For Miles" (for years I thought it _was_ the BBs!)
"The Kids Are Alright"
"Barbara Ann"
"In the City"
Sections of "A Quick One"