Re: Page, Plant, etc. (little Who content)

>>Well, following your train of logic here, it would seem that Plant is an
>>excellent Page imitator.
>
>No, no, no.  My "train of logic" was that Page had a bad heroin addiction
>from 1978-1983 and his performance was hampered by it.  And if you're
>saying that Plant's work somehow imitated Zeppelin, you're WAY off.

Scott:

I wasn't saying that at all. My feeling is that Plant's work WAS Zeppelin,
and then as a solo artist he continued it. You are the one who contends that
Page was the major part of the songwriting team.

>>Juvenile lyrics that Plant wouldn't touch? You mean like on Too Loud
>>(SHAKEN `N' STIRRED)? And I thought Robert Palmer was shallow...
>
>"Too Loud" is nothing compared to the non-stop cliche of "Shake my tree,"
>etc.  And there are 5 writers credited to "Too Loud" while Coverdale has
>nobody to blame but himself.

Well, I must say that Cloverdale/Page was another one of those albums I
dismissed after few hearings, so I'm not familiar enough to comment about
Shake My Tree. But Too Loud is nothing; it's about as shallow as a song can
be. Five writers? Amazing...

>>So you've giving very little credit to Plant in any facet of his career.

>And Plant's songwriting really blossomed *after* Zep broke up.  With Zep,
>he would oftentimes resort to borrowing various blues lyrics, but as a
>solo artist he has been able to think up fresh ideas time and time
>again.  The entire _Fate Of Nations_ album is amazing...

Well, I don't agree with that. I think that Plant's solo work started off
strong(er than Zeppelin was by then), and went downhill from there. FATE OF
NATIONS didn't impress me, nor did MANIC NIRVANA or anything since SHAKEN
`N' STIRRED.
Of late he's been embarrassing himself redoing Zep songs with Page. Too bad
they didn't realise that the newer songs were far superior, and that they
should have had the balls to put out an entire album of these (and include
John Paul Jones). Now that would have impressed me...not weak reworkings of
Thank You and Nobody's Fault But Mine.

                     Cheers                   ML

NP: Stern