Re: Page, Plant, etc. (little Who content)

>>Of late he's been embarrassing himself redoing Zep songs with Page.
>
>"Embarrassing himself"?  Hardly!  This reunion has been critically
>acclaimed-- the album received positive reviews and almost every tour stop
>got a great review in the local paper.

Scott:
Well, when I hear those songs (the Zep songs) I'm embarrassed for them
myself. Like Townshend said, going through the motions. Good reviews don't
change what I hear.

>>Too bad they didn't realise that the newer songs were far superior,
>
>Which new songs?  "City Don't Cry"?

Yes, for instance. I think all of the new songs are better than the reworkings.

>>and that they should have had the balls to put out an
>>entire album of these (and include John Paul Jones).
>
>The new album will be released later this year, but Jones won't be on it.

A pity.

>>Now that would have impressed me...not weak reworkings of
>>Thank You and Nobody's Fault But Mine.
>
>I like the new version of "Nobody's Fault But Mine" because it's closer
>to the Blind Willie Johnson version without copying it.  How ironic you
>should mention "Thank You"-- they've been playing it in much the way Zep
>did 25 years ago.  It's one of the least re-worked songs on the album.

My point was that these "new" versions of the Zep songs should have been
left out for the newer material. I don't find Thank You much like the
original...since Plant's voice is so strong on that one, unlike the newer
one. I would be the first to cheer if they had put out a completely new
album. Instead...

         Cheers                ML