Re: The Who Vs The Rest

>Date:	Sun, 11 Feb 1996 00:37:03 -0500
>From:	mleaman@sccoast.net (Mark Leaman)
>Sender:	owner-thewho@mpath.com
>To:	thewho@mpath.com
>Subject:	Re: The Who Vs The Rest
>

>We were looking at the solo albums and the direction they took. From that,
>it can be seen that Plant was much more of a force than was ever known at
>the time. When it happened I can't say. Zep III seems to show it, though.

Solo albums are AFTER the fact, not during.  Zep III is entirely Page.  He
was trying to diversify the Yardbirds in a folk direction before they
disbanded.  Instead they were too much into the psychadelia era.   Listen to
Pages's White Summer and you know he had a knack for the songs he wrote on
Zep III.

>>But what does Cream coming after the Who have to do
>>with anything?  Cream's early sound is straight from Mayall, which is why
>>included him.  Again what Mayall and the Yardbirds were doing was totally
>>different from the Who's direction and Zep II is clearly from the former's
>
>>style.
>
>I don't agree with that, certainly. Clapton's songs showed Mayall's
>influence, but I couldn't say the same about Bruce and Baker...not to
>mention Pappalardi. I see the bombastic quality of The Who (live, anyway)
> in
>Zep II. Young Man Blues (which The Who were doing as far back as `64) would
>be an ancestor, I think.

Yeah Mark. but when did YMB become THE song we now hear on Leeds?  By
listening to Pure Rock Theatre, I'd say late '69 during or after Zep II was
released.  My point is YMB wasn't perfected until the Who's live peak so you
can throw that out the window.

BTW Jack Bruce played with John Mayall.

>>> songs
>>>
>>>I would say The Who's influence goes a lot deeper than mere stage
>>> presence.
>>
>>On the surface, it doesn't.
>
>I would give musicians, who were the ones influenced, credit for looking
>below the surface.

Name them, there aren't many...Paul Weller is the only one who comes to
mind.

> while
>>>the >Who were all over the UK punk bands of the same period.  Comparing
> the
>>>Jam to >the Talking Heads is a good start.
>>>
>>>Actually, The Talking Heads' major influence was (was is called) Bubble
>>> Gum.
>>>As they themselves have said.
>
>>Where did you read this?  Three of the members were huge James Brown fans
>>and also listed Lou Reed as an influence.  Psycho Killer has VU written
> all
>>over it.
>
>Again, I didn't say it was the only influence!
>Here's a quote for you from Stephen Kaplan and Arthur Marko of Performance
>Records: "Ten years after the Bubble Gum scene, new wave artists like The
>Talking Heads (who for years included 1,2,3 Red Light in their live set),
>Blondie, The Cars, and The Ramones all affectionately acknowledge The Ohio
>Players and The 1910 Fruitgum Company." If you want a direct quote from
>David Byrne, you'll have to give me a little time to find one.

Well at least my quotes come from the actual members of the band, and not a
group of writers who are trying to hype a story to make money.  You don't
need a direct quote from David Byrne,  just listen to Blind and you hear his
version of James Brown soul.

>                           Cheers                   ML

"I'm pissed off, I'm pissed off all the time" ---Ray Rhodes