Re: Who vs. Zep sales

>	Pardon me for being candid, Mark, but this notion that Zeppelin had
>four members because the Who did borders on Louis Farrakhan-like
>numerology.  There's a fair simpler reason why both bands only had four
>members:  they didn't want too many egos on the same stage.  In fact,
>(and this is just my opinion based on what I know of Page's personality)
>if  JPJ was a better singer, Plant never would have been in Zeppelin so
>that Page could attract more attention to himself and his guitar
>playing.  After all, Zeppelin was originally conceived as a vehicle for
>Page after he left the Yardbirds.  Ironically, it's *Plant* whose solo
>career prospered, while Page's solo career... well, one word:
>OUTRIDER.  Nuff Said.

Tom:
Well, that was a left handed compliment to Zep if I ever saw one.
Personally, I doubt that The Who were four members because of ego, but I can
certainly believe it about LZ...knowing Page and Plant's thoughts via
interviews and articles.
Now, I know that humor doesn't always translate well on the computer, but my
thoughts about Zep being influenced by The Who to the extent of having the
same lineup were just that. As I've often said, when defending The Who
against The Beatles: It's merely a rumor that they heard TOMMY and knew they
couldn't beat it, so they broke up. I really don't expect anyone to take it
seriously. Sorry it's not funnier.
I certainly agree that Plant's songwriting was a stronger force in Zep's
success than Page's playing...as you say, the solo albums speak for
themselves. How about The Firm and DEATHWISH II soundtrack?
Daltrey, with his many attributes, is no songwriter. That too I'll agree
with. His voice is tremendous, and his staging outstanding...and he also
contributed to the way the songs were performed live. All of that he did to
the degree that it became a significant part of The Who's legend.
Plant is a good (and sometimes great) songwriter. But, as the solo albums
clearly show, his contribution to Zeppelin was probably the single most
significant of all the members (after the first album). This was not true of
The Who, where the performance of each member was pretty much equaled by the
others. Add to this Townshend's songwriting, and you have the greatest Rock
band that ever walked the face of the Earth. So I say again, whether by
design or by chance, The Who (based on my three criteria, laid out in an
earlier note) were by far the superior.

       Cheers                                  ML