Re: Who vs. Zep sales

-- [ From: Thomas G. Farrell Jr. * EMC.Ver #2.10P ] --

NP:  Zep, "Cats Squirrel" San Fran 27 April 1969

Mark,
	RE:  "That Zep was influenced by The Who is> fairly easy to see...from
the structure of the songs (excepting that Page> was a Blues style
guitarist rather than a chord player) down to the> three-musicians-plus-
one-blonde-lead-singer."

	Pardon me for being candid, Mark, but this notion that Zeppelin had
four members because the Who did borders on Louis Farrakhan-like
numerology.  There's a fair simpler reason why both bands only had four
members:  they didn't want too many egos on the same stage.  In fact,
(and this is just my opinion based on what I know of Page's personality)
if  JPJ was a better singer, Plant never would have been in Zeppelin so
that Page could attract more attention to himself and his guitar
playing.  After all, Zeppelin was originally conceived as a vehicle for
Page after he left the Yardbirds.  Ironically, it's *Plant* whose solo
career prospered, while Page's solo career... well, one word:
OUTRIDER.  Nuff Said.
	Which brings me to my second point:  when you talk about Zeppelin's
"Blonde" lead singer, you're implying that Plant had nothing to do with
the band's music, and was just a pretty boy mouthpiece.  I'm sorry,
that's just demonstrably incorrect.  Plant was involved in every aspect
of Zeppelin's songwriting in collaboration with Page, and was an
integral part of the band's music, down to the last note.  For proof,
listen to Plant's first solo album, which was outstanding (some of his
others were spotty at best), or listen (if you can bear it) to Page's
solo stuff, which simply is lacking an important influence, namely
Plant.  (I won't bring up Daltrey's first solo album, except for a two
word review:  "Leo Sayer."  Nuff said on that one too.  Daltrey was/is
the better vocalist, but Plant the better musician.... hands down).
	Just my Opinion.  Btw, you are definitely 100% correct about the Kinks
as an influence on the Punk Movement... they certainly were.  In fact
of all the guitar tricks used throughout R&R History, Dave Davie's
(knitting-needle-through- the speaker cone) power chords on "You Really
Got Me" probably influenced more post-60's guitar players than any
piece of music.
	Every good wish--Tom Farrell