Green Day does a Who tribute?!?

I was watching MTV the other day and yet another Green Day video came
on...>sigh<  Oh well, I guess that's what I get for watching MTV...Anyway I
started to remember the Woodstock '94 highlight show which featured about 15
minutes of Green Day's act.

During their finale, the drummer and bassist were supposed to be jamming
(looked like fooling around to me) while their lead singer, Billy Joe was
running around trying to keep the crowd pumped up.  While they were getting
pelted with mud (loved that part), Billy Joe says something like : "Where's
Abby Hoffman so I can hit him in the head with my guitar...".  My jaw
dropped.  This guy knew some rock history!  But it seemed like he said it
really sarcastically...even insultingly.  Either way, I felt he was making
fun of Pete's assault on the protester.  A few minutes later, Billy Joe got
on his knees, took his mike and slammed it on the stage three times.  When he
brought it down again, he disconnected the mike from the cord, trying to get
some feedback.  My jaw dropped even lower!  Townshend did the same exact
thing in the original Woodstock festival, only with his guitar!

So, is Green Day paying The Who a tribute (IMHO, I think not), or were they
making fun...

?????

Dan Senesky

P.S. Knowing this event happened almost 2 years ago, I understand that it may
have been discussed already...