Re: PBS' RnR documentary.

Ian writes:
>I bring this up because it appears (in fact TV Guide mentions this)
>The Who aren't discussed at all, not even in passing.  OTOH, the
>Animals were focused upon in great length discussing the British
>blues movement in the mid 60's.

I find it odd, as well, especially since this series is co-produced by
the BBC.  I'd think that they would have a decidedly British focus,
and how can you discuss the British influence on Rock without talking
about the Who?

>My feeling is that the Who fall through the cracks because they were
>so hard to pinpoint as an overall band.  This documentary has been
>taking an hour to discuss certain genre's of rock.  However it is
>ashame that a band such as the Who gets ignored when they contributed
>to expanding rock's horizons.  Not dwelling on the blues or country,
>but actually using early rnr as a springboard to create a sound so
>unique no one has yet been able to imitate.

I think it's unforgivable, considering the fact that the show focused a big
segment last night on Hendrix and his lighting his guitar on fire and
smashing it and how big of a deal that was.  Jeez, Pete had been smashing
his stuff for years, not to mention making creative use of feedback
on-stage.  I think Jimi gets a little more credit than he deserves for
being a pioneer.  Not that he wasn't great, but he wasn't the first to do
either, just the first American to understand that it was way cool.

As for the thread regarding feedback/Hiwatts, make no mistake that a Hiwatt
100-watt head with the pre-amp volume knob cranked up WILL produce the
cleanest, most manageable distortion tone you've ever heard (it will also
split your head open at 50 paces).  I believe all the tones on Leeds are
true Hiwatt nut-crushers, because I've managed to turn mine up enough a few
times to experience it.  And, believe me, it IS an experience...

OK,
KLW

PS: still waiting for a *full* recounting of the pilgrimage to London from
the convention group!  Some of those mail messages were clearly produced
after much "medicine" was had...