Re: Dukes of Stratosphear

>        Now, about the Ramones.... I was never a fanatic.... I kinda like
>there music...but I always thought their brand of sound to be "just a bit
>of fun".... like the movie "RnR High School".... NEVER thought them to be
>even influenced by Acid Rock or Psychedelic Rock.  (A "fun" punk band).

Gary:

Here's the kicker: I've never liked the Ramones from day one. I thought they
were rather tame compared to the Punk I was listening to at the time (Sex
Pistols, Clash, XTC, Elvis Costello, Stranglers, and so on). But I must say
that their ACID EATERS is a good album...I got it on CD, and not just for
Substitute (OK, to be honest I got it at a Pawn shop for $5, but I still
like it). So it's the only Ramones I have.
As for being influenced by Psychedelic Rock (which is surely the PC was of
saying it), I'd have to say that any Rock band was. To some degree, anyway.
It certainly trashed the door (which had already been opened by The Who) and
anything went even more so afterwards. The Who made it so that any form was
acceptable; PR made any additions to it or any other genre of music
acceptable to join with it. Surely George Harrison (by using the sitar and
the obvious Eastern influence on his music) had a large hand in that (can
you tell I've just finished watching the Beatles Anthologies?).
I would put it this way, and of course this is my opinion:
Before MY GENERATION it was all Chuck Berry/Blues influenced; that was Rock
And Roll. MG created the form called Rock, which encompassed RnR and any
other form to follow...which is the basis on my belief that The Who are the
greatest single contributers to date just for that. Their first bloody
album! After that, of course, they went on to do even greater music and make
even more contributions...but that was a feat never to be repeated.
Ah...I feel so cleansed...
        Cheers                       ML