Re: XTC/God...

>As for "Dear God," I remember thinking that exact thought the first time I
>heard it.  As an ex-Catholic (now somewhere between Buddhist and Sufi thanks
>to PT) I like the humor in the song, but am concerned that an otherwise
>extremely enlightened individual such as Andy Partridge would close off the
>possibility of a Greater Consciousness.  Oh, well,... he's still a damn fine
>songwriter and musician.

Kevin:
I don't know if I could define my spiritual course...there is a lot of
Buddhism in it, though. I do think that Partridge is a complete humanist. As
you say, it's unfortunate. One of the thousands of reasons I'm a Who fan is
the spirituality therein (and it goes pretty far back, too...Rael if no
further). Townshend never comes out and says, "This is the path." and I like
that. His spiritual sense runs through the music but doesn't dominate it.
Like so much Christian music does. The words of I'm Free ("If I told you
what it takes...") mean more to me now than ever before. And please note
that Tommy isn't saying, "You must do this." but "_I'm_ free...and I'm
waiting for you to follow me." Sort of, join in if you like, you might say.
The same goes for Lifehouse: "Join together with the band..." And Welcome,
"Come to this house/Be one of us..."
Anyway, just some thoughts about religion in music...
           Cheers                  ML