Re: Re[2]: The Who in the Studio

>          Mark:  I don't think either FD or IH is a bad album, but
>          IMHO they are weak Who albums.  I've had some discussions
>          with others on this list, I don't think they were openly
>          disseminated, in which I have argued that it's tough to
>          determine how Pete solo material might have sounded with
>          Roger and John.  I don't think it's fair to simply say that
>          Rog and John would have simply played without making
>          suggestions for changes.  So, I feel comfortable saying I
>          dunno how Who-ish Pete's solo stuff would have been.

Jim:

You must have heard some of Pete's demos, right (at least on the SCOOPS if
no place else)? They don't really sound like "Who" songs. Although I will
grant that it's hard to imagine if you've heard the band do it first. Mary
might be a good example. That sounds like a Townshend song to me. But the
band did it (even if we will never hear it). So I can imagine some of Pete's
songs would suit for the band.
Can you imagine the band doing You Came Back? Yet he wrote it for them.
I think IT'S HARD is a strong Who album (as strong as you could expect,
considering, and stronger than _I_ expected at the time). I mean, put
against some of the earlier albums, even WAY is weak. FACE DANCES comes in
as my 2nd to least (A QUICK ONE is # 1 unless you count MAGIC BUS). Although
a bad Who album is still pretty good...
 Cheers                      ML