Re: Expectations for Covers (WAS: Re: What the....)

On Mon, 22 May 1995, Gene Kannenberg wrote:

> Date: Mon, 22 May 95 12:53:37 EDT
> From: Gene Kannenberg <EPK93002@UConnVM.UConn.Edu>
> To: thewho@cisco.com
> Subject: Expectations for Covers (WAS: Re: What the....)
>
> >From Ian M. Derby:
>
> >> I still think Linda Perry's version kicked ass.  I'm sorry, she really
> >> belted it out great.  Oh, well, it's just an opinion.  Pretty strong one,
> >> tho.
>
> > Now we know what's wrong with your view of music.  :)  Just an
> > opinion, and it's very strong.  She simply butchers it, flat out.
>
> Define "butchers."  I happened to think her *version* was strong, heartfelt,
> full of passion, and *not* an attempt to ape Roger.  What exactly is the
> point of a cover version which sounds exactly like the original?  I think
> we've heard this discussion here before: Did the Who "butcher" Summertime
> Blues?  Dancing in the Street?  Under My Thumb?  The Last Time?  Shakin' All
> Over?  Eyesight to the Blind?  Batman?  Barbara Ann?  I'm a Man?  Twist &
> Shout?

Well, since I made the original comment about not liking Perry's version,
I thought that I would try to clear up what I meant. When I was at the
Carnegie show, and they started to do DrJImmy, I was wishing that Roger
had done this one. Of course the show was full of guest stars, and I don't
have anything personal at all against LInda Perry. I only know that one
song
that got a ton of air play. It was just that one song that I wish Roger had
saved for himself. It wasn;t the guest who sang it. It was the non-Roger
point that I was trying to make. Just me being selfish is all.

Pete