Re: doing unplugged

   Date: Sat, 6 May 1995 10:30:24 -0500 (CDT)
   From: Alan McKendree <amck@eden.com>
   Subject: Re: doing unplugged

   On Fri, 5 May 1995, Jeff Williams wrote:

   > the first four chords of the Overture of Tommy.

   C major
   C major with a B flat added (don't know what you'd call this)
   C major with an A added (CM6)
   F minor with a D added (Fm6)

   It's easy on a piano, don't know exactly how one would play it on
   guitar (Marty? Anyone?)

   Alan

What's important is to get the decending bass line  C B- A A-  (where - means
flat).  Tricky if you don't have a bass guitarist playing along with you.  But
you might try it on guitar like this:  (my notation: left to right goes from
low to high strings.  x = muted or not plucked, depending on whether it's in
the middle or at the ends)

C	x-3-x-0-1-0    Could also do "2" on the D string on this one

C/B-	x-1-x-0-1-0      "    "   "   "   "  "  "   "    "    "   "

Fm6/A-	4-x-3-5-3-x

C/G	3-x-2-0-1-0

C/G	3-x-2-0-1-x

Gsus4	3-x-0-0-1-3

G	3-x-0-0-0-3

Disclaimer:  I'm a keyboardist, not a guitarist.  So I know the notes are
correct, but I don't know if they're fingerable by a human!  (That fourth
chord looks a little dubious to me, but those are the correct notes.)

Ken Traub