Live Aid

My recollections of "Live Aid" are mainly my father camping in the living
room all day, while me (aged 9) and my brother (11) complained that it was
boring !!  I also remember moaning, whenever Dad put on one of "HIS records".
Now, my brother and I are much bigger fans than he ever was!!!
As we started to fill in the missing gaps of our WHO collection, I noticed
that my Dad had taped the whole concert (audio, not video).  I may be sticking
my neck out here, but I think that The Who's performance is probably my
most favourite of the latter years.  Perhaps it's the genuine "live" sound:
The loudest, meanest bass sound ever recorded, strong vocals, great guitar
when it eventually gets turned up, and Brilliant drumming. I didn't find
Kenney's technique very powerfull between 1979-82, the Live Aid sound is
awesome. Perhaps it's something to do with the miking of his drumkit ???

About a year ago, I got hold of the video, but alas it only had Love Reign,
and WGFA.  The drum solo (or drum roll solo!) and the scream at the end of
WGFA always send shivers down my spine.  Try wopping the volume up to 11 at
the critical point.....  I hope that the BBC do show the whole of the Who's
set.  They must have loads of different camera angles, to re-edit from !

The funniest bit has to be when Pete falls over at the end.  He eyes his
mike stand, and in "Charlton" fashion, swings his leg right over the top,
only he loses his balance on his other foot, and falls flat on his back !!

What happens in the middle of WGFA ? I know that Roger sings "I move myself"..
too early, but then the guitar cuts out !?!?  John's bass sound carries
the breakdown though.  What is it that Pete Yells ?  I always thought that
it sounded like "Kenney, I'm lost" !!!!!!!!!!

I'll stop know, before you accuse me of being sicophantic (?)....
Mind you, can you imagine them playing "After the Fire" !!!!!!

Tim

P.S Bob Geldof's autobiography has some funny Who bits, including the
    difficulty in getting the 4 back together again !!!!