Re: '89 video

Jeff writes about the '89 Universal Theater show:
>I could have done without Bucky Beaver and Suzanna Straightlace doing the
>MC-ing on the PPV.  Jeez what a buncha crap!  The sound was good overall,
>tho, and I liked all the oldies, but I didn't take too kindly too the
>cutting off the last song mid-song.  Hell, we were paying for it, no?

I didn't see the PPV - who were the MC's?

I do have the video (it was a gift) and it sums up my feeling about the '89
tour: that it was way past time for them to stop touring.  "The Who On Ice" has
been used (by RD or PT, I think) to describe the sound, but I liken it more to
"The Who Buried Under A Cast Of Thousands."  With very few exceptions (Amazing
Journey comes to mind) the Who is reduced to a figurehead.  It may as well have
been the opening of the Broadway show.  I didn't care for any of the guests,
with the possible exception of Patti LaBelle (who did a decent Acid Queen), even
though I generally like Steve Winwood.  And will SOMEbody please shoot Billy
Idol and put him out of my misery??!!  Whatta JERK!

I think the sound quality was decent, but I was really angry about the cutting
off of WGFA at the end.  It's a good thing it was a gift, as I'd have never
bought this video if I'd seen it beforehand.  To me it is a historical message
to all Rockdom of what happens when you've gone on too long.  The Glimmer Twins
should take heed of this.

OK,
KLW

"Just because I'm cynical and bitter
doesn't mean I'm not having a good time."