Re: a quick one (question)

------------- Begin Original Message -------------
 Sun Dec  7 12:47:04 PST 1997
Date: Tue Aug 22 18:58:05 -0400 1995
From: internet!aol.com!WFang01
Subject: Re: a quick one (question)
To: internet!cisco.com!thewho

> It was definitely by mid-1970 when the mini-opera was dropped...

Actually, that's not true... if you listen to the silly version on the box
set, the live portion of that is consistent with the mix of the live Who
material circa 1971-1974...

WF <~

Actually  it IS true...and the "mix" you refer to IS consistent with the live
WHO "sound" circa 1969-1974!!!! Think, pal...their "classic years" of live
performance were 1969-1973-4, so just because the sound of the boxed set's
live version is similar to the 1971-74 era doesn't mean that it was performed
in those years!! When I said definitively that AQO wasn't played after
mid-1970, I referred to A) my personal library of WHO tapes/CDs, and B) books
and magazines, especially "Generations", the UK WHO magazine. I have the
entire run of Generations from issue #1, and there have been articles about 1)
the WHO's lesser-known gigs in late 1970, and 2) the WHO's Young Vic
performances in the Spring of 1971, when the WHO's Next material was premiered
in a live setting. A famous one-off gig in Sheffield 1971 featured
performances of "Pure And Easy", "Time Is Passing" and "Getting In Tune", as
well as other "new" material. But according to all my sources, AQO was not
played by the WHO after mid-1970 (though there may have been the one-off gig
where they pulled the thing out of mothballs---the latest I would go on this
is fall 1970). Think about this---If you were in the WHO and you had so much
great new material to play, instead of the same group of songs, wouldn't you
go for the new songs to keep yourself fresh and cutting-edge? We're talking
about the most prolific, productive point in the WHO's career, when they were
trying new things onstage, and throwing out the old. They have been quoted
numerous time as saying that after the Tommy tours, they needed new songs for
their stage show. Unless any knowledgeable WHOlister can prove otherwise (i.e.
any concert after 1970 where AQO was performed), then I feel extremely
confident saying that by the end of 1970, they had stopped playing AQO
onstage.

Marty Secero

"You Are Forgiven"