remixes

>2) In the box-set, what exactly does it mean when they say the song has been
>remixed?  I could swear on some of the songs it sounds as if they've actually
>added stuff. One example - Join Together has a flute at the end that I could
>swear isn't there on the version I have (I don't have my orignal version from
>Rarities here in Italy with me).

Usually,when something is remixed, they pull the original studio tape. These
are the big reel to reel tapes. On these tapes there are a number of different
tracks. Picture the tape as being 'divided' lengthwise into strips. These tape
players come in different numbers of tracks, like 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.
So, let's say they recorded 'Join Together' on a 32 track tape.... Track 1
might have bass guitar, trk. 2 has guitar 1, trk 3 has lead guitar, trk 4 has
lead vocals, trks 5 & 6 have backing vocals, trks 7 - 14 are the different
drums (miced separately), trk 15 is harmonica, etc....  At this point, they
can control each track seperately -volume, amount of reverb, pan left or right
for stereo effect, EQ, etc.... There were probably tracks that weren't used,
in other words, the volume was pulled all the way down. So when they "remix"
something, they approach the 32 tracks with disregard to the previous mix, and
mix it the way they want. This might produce different results in vocal reverb
or volume, and that type of thing. That's where the flute thing comes in.
It was recorded during the original session, but was pulled out of the original
mix.

I wish they would remix Quad now. I really think it could be done better...
Hope this helps.
-the mayor