Tommy, The Movie

I bought this on video five or so years ago, and haven't watched it
recently.  After hearing negative comments from the list members and
the box set literature, I thought it was time to watch it again.
The movie does have a cheesy aftertaste, but I do see some bright
spots.  For instance, had they done "I'm Free" the way they did in
the movie (with Roger screaming with energy) on the original album
the song would've been a little more convincing.   I also think Elton
John does a great Pinball Wizard.  When he sings "Sure Plays a Mean
Pinball" he really does it with conviction.  Tina Turner is a pretty
good Acid Queen.  The only other singer I could think of who could
top her would be Aretha Franklin.  I know Patti LaBelle was
incredible at LA's 25 aniv Tommy concert, but in the mid 70's she
wasn't well known outside the gospel/soul community.  The major flaw
in this film is Ken Russell didn't make it more serious.  The
cheesiness of this film is because he intended on making a young
audience film that was entertaining (or funny in goofy way).
Unfortunately it doesn't wear well with age.