No Subject

-- BEGIN included message

Charles Jowett wrote:

> Here's some info on Dirk Nowitzki from the On-Hoops site.  Makes me
> glad
> that the Celtics didn't get him.
> ======================
> Dirk Nowitzki! He was once in the States and scored 33 pts in
> someunknown
> tournament in San Antonio (let me know if it is the known one, for
> sure it was not the
> Chicago Pre-Draft Camp). Yes, he is only 20 (and 6-10), he scored 18
> points a game
> and got 10 rebs a game in German club Wurzburg last season. I read
> this in every
> scouting report and in the stories across the Internet after the
> draft.
> But did anybody mention it was THE SECOND DIVISION?! (Note for the
> American
> readers: second division in European leagues is lower than the first
> one. In Germany
> it means one player higher than 6-7 per team). And now Nowitzki is in
> the top ten in
> the draft! And Don Nelson (with Mavericks' owner Ross Perot jr) is
> coming to
> Europe especially to kindly ASK him to leave Europe now, not in two
> years as he
> planned!

***

Hi:

That's interesting, but I'd only point out that Rick Pitino himself
worked out Nowitzki and if he truly came away thinking the kid has NBA
game (maybe it's a bluff!?), then who among us is qualified to second
guess? Also, maybe there's a reason Nowitzki played in the second
division (for example, maybe Wurzburg is his hometown?). Anyway, it's
nice to see On-hoops isn't letting itself get carried away in hyping
this "great white hope".

I recall reading at ESPNET that Nowitzki really tried to downplay his
talent and readiness for the NBA at the press conference upon his
arrival in Dallas, either out of modesty or who knows what. His lack of
experience could crush him during his rookie season (as with Harrington
and Lewis), so let's hope Nellie doesn't try to force him to play a
Keith Van Horn role right away. How can you not love a 6-10 kid who can
precociously shoot, pass and rebound?

Joe

P.S. Thanks Bob Miller, for the Ryan memorable moments article. Go
Celtics!

-- END included message