Re: survey

> Peter Delevett wrote:
>
>          Reply to:   Re: survey
>I'd go with an all-time Celtics starting five of Russell, Bird, Cousy, >Havlicek and Cowens (even playing out of position, but at 6'9 he'd be a >PF in today's NBA anyway).
>
> I'll freely admit I'm not old enough to have seen Sharman, McCauley or >Frank Ramsey play, but I'd be pretty surpised if they could bump one of >these 5 off ... even though Sharman was one of the Top 50. (I think >many considered that a somewhat questionable call.)  I gotta go with >Cooze over Tiny at the point, and as for Sam Jones versus Hondo, and >Cowens versus McHale, well ... I just think you gotta go for players >who really defined their eras, you know? The Joneses and McHale were >terrific complimentary players, but the Celtics WERE Havlicek and Big >Red during each man's respective prime.

         I must admit that I saw all of these guys play. I will say
without question that there was never a player who made every player on
his team better or altered other team game plans like Bill Russell.
Jordan may be the most talented player who ever played the game but
believe me he would not have dominated a Bill Russell led team or for
that matter a Wilt Chamberlain led team. The Wilt/Russell matchups were
just awesome and indescribable. By the way in those days you could buy a
ticket on the day of the game and pretty much sit where you want for
most games.
         Your starting 5 above are very good, Cowens at power forward,
what an awesome frontcourt, with McHale and Parrish coming off the
bench. Your backcourt, I possibly would start Sam Jones with Havlicek
coming off the bench. Sharman was a great shooter and Ramsay was an
instant energy and offense coming off the bench, but IMO they were not
as good as Jones & Havlicek in the overall scheme.
        There is just no way I can explain the effect Russell had on his
teammates and how much better they really were with him. You just had to
be there. I am sure that Heinsohn, Ramsay, Sanders, Sharman, the Jones
boys etc would all tell you that without Russell they probably wouldn't
have obtained the NBA status they reached without him playing for the
Celtics.
        I didn't mean to carry on so long about this.

Regards,
Hart