Globe vs. Walker

 	Thanks to Joe Hironaka for his wonderfully written and unbiased
opinions regarding this past weekend's tumult over Antoine Walker.  I've
always agreed with the members on this list who criticized May's attacks on
Walker and his generally inflammatory writings, and until this past
weekend, I have always held Ryan in the highest of regards.  Now I want May
shipped out and I fear I'll no longer think as much of Ryan as I once did.
I didn't agree with everything Walker said in the infamous Holley interview
but I did agree with his comments on Pierce.  Now hear me out, I was
ecstatic that we lucked out and were able to draft Pierce and feel he
should someday be an all-star.  More potential than McCarty?  Yes.
Better NOW than a 6-10 gazelle with 5 years experience starring in a very
specialized basketball scheme, 2 yrs NBA practice experience, and 1 year
NBA playing experience?  No.  I would have diplomatically put the brakes on
the Pierce mania too if for no other reason than to publicly commend the
hard work in the weight room and on the practice floor of a current
teammate and good friend in McCarty.  You think Bird as a team leader never
publicly or privately challenged an incoming rookie?  You think McHale
never hazed a little to keep the rookies hungry and humble?  Once again,
there is a refusal on this list to hold certain Celtics like Bird, McHale,
and current C's like Mercer to the same scrutiny that we hold Walker!  How
many Brandeis rookie camps did you see McHale at?  Was Mercer at this
summer's Pitino minicamp?  Let's try to have at least a shred of fairness
when chastizing Walker.
	We're reading too much into the public jawing between Walker,
Pitino, and Gaston.  I wish they would simply handle all such maneuverings
OUTSIDE the press but I also realize that these are simply 3 persons
posturing for an unavoidable contract negotitiation and I feel all 3
realize their own individual best interests are linked to eachother.  This
is no earth-shattering revelation but instead of seeing it this way, the
cowards at the Globe take Walker's comments out of context, turn the
statement, "I was an all-star last year" into 'that punk thinks he's a
10-yr perennial all-star, does he' and other inflammatory statements only
to sell more papers and pad their resumes.  How noble you are Bob Ryan to
take on the scourge of sports in the 90's!  Any mention of Walker's
tireless work with the poor?  Ever mention that Walker has never demanded
$100M?
	I want Walker to remain a Celtic forever and bring us back to the
championship level for many reasons. . .and I still think he will (I may
now be alone on this one).  Now I want it even more just to see May and
Ryan grovel at the foot of Walker's champagne-soaked locker.  Until then, I
wish Joe Hironaka wrote for the Globe because frankly, I think Walker
deserves better than the current batch.

Goggin in Cincinnati