Re: AW Article

----------
> From: Cecil Wright <cecil@hfx.andara.com>
> >Coach yes, GM no, Mullin for Dampier was a bonehead trade,
>
> >From what perspective?  Bird wanted another shooter to take up the slack
for
> Reggie.  He felt he got that in Mullin.

I watched Mullin play in all the games during the playoffs, he played very
poorly in all those games. He was getting shown by younger players, his
defense wasn't good and he couldn't get his shot off. I am not sure if Bird
got his man..it's time for Chris Mullin to retire.

> Dampier's minutes would have been
> significantly minor since Smits is their middle man.  The Davis boys do
an
> adequate job when he's out of the lineup.  In addition, Mullin provided
> another veteran, former all-pro player, in the lockerroom.

IMO though Dampier's minutes comparatively would have been minor still you
don't give a young talent at center for an over the hill small forward.

> Perhaps selecting Croshere instead of DA was a mistake as far as pure
talent
> is concerned, but maybe Bird was thinking that the Pacers' needs were
more
> in the frontcourt.  They have sufficient firepower in the backcourt and
> maybe he thought that Croshere could eventually give him some offense off
> the bench.

It's the same kind of mistake that the celtics made (and I am not sure it
wasn't Bird who gave that input) drafting Montross ahead of Eddie Jones.
                                                   - Mishra