Re: Walker Globe Article

I hope at least we can get this much discussed "fair" trade value, because
unfortunately trade value is probably all that will come of it.  This is a
very insightful and yet disturbing article.

Do we believe the adamant comments about not making any contract demands,
as a few have really made a point to discuss here?  Isn't stating sign, or
I leave, some version of a demand?  Sounds the pure definition.

He sure is high on his future teammate Pierce.  "He might start but I don't
see it".  Probably because he would start in front of his buddy Walter.  He
is GM material.

And obviously the Celtics must treat AW like the delicate genious he is.
He must have his respect.

Here's to fair trade value,
Greg

> The Celtics and Rick Pitino recognize Walker, too. Do they know him?
> Maybe they don't realize how he feels about his friends and his
> profession, strong enough to say that Pitino's summer camps in Boston
> are a waste of his time and that he will never attend. ''Never,'' he
> repeats. Maybe they don't know how he defines loyalty, intense enough
> to say that he doesn't feel his coach is supporting him, he isn't sure
> if he wants to play for him anymore, sometimes he doesn't feel like a
> part of the team, and that if the NBA lockout ends soon enough for the
> Celtics to sign him in 1998 and they don't do it, he will say goodbye
> to Boston, guaranteed.
>
> We all know that he is from Chicago, but do we know that most adults
> in his family don't want him to play for the Bulls and would prefer he
> stay in Boston? And since we are speaking of Boston, we must mention
> contracts. Six years at $100 million? Walker insists that Paul Gaston
> and Pitino have never received such a demand, from him or his agent.
>
> ''Pierce is a good player,'' Walker says. ''He's a guy who can come
> off the bench and give scoring to our second unit. But I know our team
> needs. We need big people.''
>
> Whoa. Pierce off the bench? How about Pierce starting?
>
> ''It could happen,'' Walker said. '' ... But I don't see it.''
>
> Walker is a sensitive man. So if the Celtics choose to wait and see
> how he performs in 1998-99 without first signing him to a contract
> extension ...
>
> ''If that happens, I won't re-sign. That's a guarantee. If the lockout
> works out where I can sign this year and they don't sign me to an
> extension, I will not come back. If they don't sign me? I'm gone.
> That's not showing loyalty to me. It shouldn't be a question. If that
> happens, no matter what I do [in '98-99] I'm gone.''
>
> But there is an echo in this room, with its exposed brick walls and
> hardwood floors. The topic echoes, too, going all the way back to the
> summer camp Walker did not attend.
>
> ''Let me tell you,'' he says, ''no veteran, All-Star player shows up
> for a camp like that. For the rest of my career, I'll never go to a
> camp like that. Never.''
>
> ''I don't know what I'm going to do and I don't know what the Celtics
> want to do,'' he said. ''I'm not saying I'm trying to break the bank;
> I don't know what I'm looking for [in terms of a contract]. But I have
> a lot to think about. Right now I'm at the point where I need to get
> to the next level. And that means making the playoffs and winning a
> championship. I have to look at all my options. I want to win. And I
> have to look at what [the Celtics] do. Hey, we could finish 36-46
> again. That's something I have to think about.''

ITNBATOR