Kim Malo wrote:

> At 07:38 PM 7/8/98 EDT, Douglas342@aol.com wrote:
> >In a message dated 98-07-08 17:56:29 EDT, kmalo19@idt.net writes:
>
><< See the current increasing
> trend in potential draftees announcing that they will not play for certain
> teams, even if drafted by them. >>
>   Under the present CBA, what happens in such a case?  I.e., Player X
>announces that he will not play for the Clippers.  Clippers draft him.  He
>won't sign.  What happens to X?  Is he a free agent?  After one year?  Back
>into the draft?  Out for three years?
>    P.S.  I chose the Clippers purely at random, of course...

If Player X goes to play in Europe, the Clippers retain his rights for
as long as he plays overseas.  See Danny Ferry.  If Player X sits out a
full year, he goes back into the draft.  See Jim Jackson (well, almost,
before the Mavs caved in and signed him).  I don't know about other
contingencies.
--
<>Dale
"Pow!  Right between the eyes,