Re: Pitino or Walker

>From: damekmo@teleport.com
>Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 12:16:17 -0800
>To: celtics@igtc.COM
>Subject: Re: Pitino or Walker
>
>Just curious, Pitino has proven what over his NBA coaching carreer? His
>playoff history as a coach? The Knicks had their doubts about his
coaching
>ability / philosophy...yes? No red flags went up last year? Everybody
>convinced Pitino-ball is the way to go deep into the playoffs?
Everybody
>happy with the offense, or was that all just Walker's fault? Everybody
>thrilled about Pitino's apparent obsession with getting Mashburn? Will
the
>system make Mashburn a better player? Just curious?
>
>Paul M

Rick Pitino has a responsibility and a stated objective of bringing the
Celtics up to championship level.  If he doesn't do it, the blame will
rest squarely with him, he will be fired and the Celtics will find
someone else.  If they sign Antoine Walker to a gazillion dollar
contract and he doesn't live up to it, there's no firing him and there's
probably no finding someone else to do the job because we will be stuck
with the contract.

On top of that, Rick Pitino has been coaching basketball professionally
(yes, college coaches are professionals) for over 20 years.  He is a far
more known quantity than Antoine Walker.  He carries with him a
reputation for hard work, dedication and commitment to winning.  As far
as his playoff record goes, at least he's been to the playoffs, which is
more than you can say for Antoine.

You far over-estimate the importance of the famed Pitino style of play.
It is a tool he is using to get the most out of a less than talented
bunch of players and generate interest around the league.  I'd say
mission accomplished on both fronts.  I have no doubt that the style of
play he coaches will change over the years.  Apart from that, he only
signed on to coach for 4 or 5 years.  At some point he will be getting
another coach and moving into the front office entirely.

So, Paul, you curiously fail to mention how high you would go with
Antoine's contract.  Do you really think it's advsible to pay him about
half our salary cap for six or seven years based on what we have seen so
far?

Jim