Generally speaking, you're right. Great players are untradeable.  But
not all franchise players are great.

Kemp for Baker (improved)
Easy Ed Macauley for Bill Russell (!)
Alonzo Mourning for Glen Rice (equal value)
Larry Johnson for Anthony Mason (improved)

in NFL
Herschel Walker for Many draft picks (improvement)

off the top of my head.  It happens.