Re: A rush to judgement......

In a message dated 3/14/2004 12:57:21 AM Eastern Standard Time,
pkeets@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Heheh.  It'll be a big job to re-educate Whofans.  Clearly some of them are
still stuck in the MY GENERATION era.  They'll have to be dragged kicking
and screaming into the 21st century.  :P

You know, the older I get the younger I get in many ways. Mere book knowledge
and fear of letting go are replaced by experience and the knowledge that
there is something far grander going on than my own little world.  Important
things take the place of stupid things.  Pete mentioned something similar to this
phenomenon in the diary repost from the 2000 tour that Jeff put up on Pete's
chat board recently. Thanks Jeff!

We like to hold onto things and are afraid to let go of them.  For Pete to
use the Who2 to go forward is the only option. He isn't getting old.  Many of us
still don't have a clue what this means.

Pete says it best: "Although there is perhaps nothing so ridiculous as this
aging man endlessly regurgitating the passion of his youth, repeating vengeful
agitations against the weary old man I myself have rapidly become-there is
nothing more painful than to be made suddenly aware that the awful secret of
growing old (that the young can never, should never, understand) is that one day
the old grow young.  It happens in a moment.  On an otherwise uneventful rainy
day like this one.

The surprise is that what once felt like hopeful youth was really weariness,
resignation and futility.  It was in fact senility.  Perhaps my head is
filling with air, but as I grow older I don't actually feel young, but I am
conscious that I am behaving more like someone who is young than I did when I was
really young.

And although I have the permission of the majority, the begrudging approval
of some, and the cynical approbation of a minority of the 'cool' - I don't give
a fuck for any of it.  I know who I am, what I have done, what I can and must
do today (for love) and what I will do tomorrow.  I also know that I am
younger, fitter, more suited to all this than I have ever been."

October 5, 2000.

Jon in Mi.