The Who, Kiss and bells and whistles

> I remember my dad saying the same thing to me about The Who regarding their
> instrument smashing, windmills and deafening volume....
>

> << Kiss had to dress up and use all the bells and whistles
> because the music
> simply wasn't that good.  >>

Here is the difference.  At first, yes, The Who engaged in wild antics because The Beatles and Stones were sucking up all the rock and roll oxygen at the time, so our boys had to find a way to distinguish themselves.

Once they broke through, it is my view that the music was so fucking good that it demanded the firey, passionate stage show and musical skill to do them justice.  Roger has said as much in recent interviews (see the pre-show video from 2002 Tour).  There will be a point where it will be impossible for Pete and Roger to play Who songs anymore.  Other bands don't have that problem because their songs, while arguably as good as the Who, don't demand the same energy that Who songs do.  This is why the Stones can go on indefinitely, because as long as they have the ability to play the instruments and Mick is ambulatory, they can play as The Stones and basically pull it off.  If Pete can windmill and jump and Roger can't scream and strut and swing the mike, the Who can't play.

Mc