Re: Eminence Front

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:29:51 -0500
From: "Kevin O'Neal" <kevinandt@xxxxxxxxx>

And, it's one of the greatest examples of John's bass prowess that I can think of.

Funny you should say that, because it's based on a riff John created. They were in the studio and John popped that out along with probably a couple dozen others in the course of the day, just fiddling about. Without saying nothing to nobody, Pete came in the next day with a song written around it. John reclaimed it for his own during the JEB shows in October 2001. They played "Love is a Heart Attack" and during the jam/break in the middle segued into the isolated "Eminence Front" synthesizer track on tape, brought in the rest of the band and jammed on "Eminence Front" for a while, then went back into the last verse of "Heart Attack". The rhythm's the same, and the effect is really quite remarkable.

FWIW, EFront's never been one of my fave Who songs...too repetitive. I love "Cry If You Want", though. And Sue, most people who give a rat's already know that my least favorite Who song ever is Squeeze Box.

Cheers,
Alan
"the average Texan...carries not just a gun but a SHOTGUN." --Pete Townshend, 1967