Re: the net

In a message dated 11/6/2003 4:32:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sschrade@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I keep hearing people saying "Don't judge! Don't judge!" when in fact
what those people really mean is "Don't judge negatively! Judge posi-
tively!"

Or just judge with the evidence we have.

>And the same people who are saying "We can never know the full truth"
are also saying they know the truth: That Pete's motives were sincere.

Because he said so.  Are we to suppose he is lying?

>Jon remarked that ADB didn't get much of a reaction here when it was
posted.  I, for one, was indifferent because I'm into Pete Townshend
because of his musical career, not his charitable work.

He's not a deity to me in the slightest and I don't have any posters of him
at all in my house, but I do agree that what he is doing is noble.  I'm
sensitive to this because I have  personal experience with close family members that
were affected by this horrible thing. (No need to "lighten the mood' with the
easy "joke" here, Kevin) It got my attention early on because I happen to
care.

Pete brought this subject up.  Johanna understands it subjectively and is an
expert.  Maybe we could learn a bit from her about why Pete is so upset to the
point of getting in that deep.  She ain't wrong for speaking up.  She is
being real.  That is who she is.

>Pete *put himself* in that "wrong place."

Agreed.  6 feet deep agreed.  Is there anyone who thinks otherwise?

>It doesn't obscure the fact that he was wrong, plain & simple.  He made
a horrid decision.  No matter what the intent.  He decided his research
was above giving a few dollars to the people who help distribute the
very stuff he wanted to eradicate!  I'm sorry, but at the very least
that's selfish & hypocritical, not to mention confusing & puzzling.

Did Pete ever say he was glad that he did this?  All I've read was the he
admitted that he made a mistake.  Ever make a mistake? (your expected reply: I
don't give money to child molesters!  So I say: You are indifferent to the
issue, unlike Pete.  You aren't even in this war, so no bullets hit you and you
don't stumble or fall.)

Selfish and hypocritical? At the least? Man, that's strong.  Foolish and
naive are more like it.  How is he selfish for helping/trying to help others that
he will receive nothing back from?

And why does this bother you?  Aren't we just animals?

Jon in Mi.