phoenix disappointment - What I was/am looking for.....

>From: "Jim M"
>Subject: Re: phoenix disappointment - What I was/am looking for.....
>
>You seem to see the "research" defense as
>something he made up to cover up his real motives.

What?
Not at all.
In fact, I believe he indeed was doing research.
What I don't believe, because it just doesn't make sense, is that he was
doing research to arm himself to try and combat child porn/abuse.
My rationale is because this came after his last visit.
I *do* believe he was doing research, but it was for his own understanding
of himself, and what may have happened to him.
*This* he has stated, or at the very minimum, implied.

I think the most honest thing Pete stated was that he believed he was
abused, and was writing about it in his book...the one he was doing research
for.

But, Jim M., no where does Pete state or imply that there is any subject
matter in his book about combating child porn/abuse.
If I'm wrong, I want to know about it.

>However, a lot of us don't agree with your assessment of his defense
>amounting to a cover up, so we also wouldn't share your anger.

Ummmm, Jim, I don't believe "a lot of us" have even come to your completely
incorrect conclusion of what I've written.
I'm not comfortable speaking for anyone else but myself.  I'd appreciate it
if you would do the same when addressing things I've written.
And, I've never stated that his defense wasn't honest, or amounted to a
cover up.
I only pointed out that there has never been a stated defense that he
visited these sites to try and combat child porn/abuse.
Only what his reaction was after he visited
them......once.....twice......threeeeee..........and perhaps a fourth.

>He needs those of us who believe that his awful decision was well
intentioned to
>stand strong next to him.  To fight the fight for hearts and minds at the
>individual level.

Wouldn't it be nice if Pete himself made the one small gesture that would go
miles at fighting for the "hearts and minds" of the actual victims of abuse?

>I can see why your doubts would prevent you from being
>part of that.

Ummm, why is it that you think I want Pete to apologize???????????????????
If you can't answer, see above (don't look up).

>What victims groups have made statements, other than the Phoenix House?
I'm
>not suggesting that others wouldn't feel the same way, just wondering if
>I've missed something.

I haven't seen any others either.
However, when researching Phoenix House, it quickly becomes apparent that
they are one of the largest international organizations dealing with abuse
and recovery of all kinds.
So, for them to come out and say what they did, is pretty telling.

Kevin in VT