Re: phoenix disappointment - What I was/am looking for.....

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin O'Neal"

> >You seem to see the "research" defense as
> >something he made up to cover up his real motives.
>
> What?
> Not at all.
> In fact, I believe he indeed was doing research.
> What I don't believe, because it just doesn't make sense, is that he was
> doing research to arm himself to try and combat child porn/abuse.
> My rationale is because this came after his last visit.
> I *do* believe he was doing research, but it was for his own understanding
> of himself, and what may have happened to him.
> *This* he has stated, or at the very minimum, implied.

OK, I'm going to stop misinterpreting what you say.  I promise.  I thnk I'm
hearing so much anger that I think you're saying things you're not.  I
really am sorry about that.

> I think the most honest thing Pete stated was that he believed he was
> abused, and was writing about it in his book...the one he was doing
research
> for.
>
> But, Jim M., no where does Pete state or imply that there is any subject
> matter in his book about combating child porn/abuse.
> If I'm wrong, I want to know about it.

"Since 1997 I have been attempting to prepare some kind of document with
respect to all this for wider publication. My feeling is that if internet
service providers (ISP's) can be enlisted by the police and other
authorities
to 'snoop' and provide information about customers downloading illegal
pornography, they could just as easily filter search terms - or better yet,
practice combinations of such search terms on a regular basis and then block
specific site names."  PT - A Different Bomb

I don't know where that fits in the sequence of things.  At this point, I
could use a refresher course in Ken's excellent timeline.  I've looked back
through the archives, but it was posted during its compilation and I'm not
sure what the final version was.

"As I made clear at the outset, I accessed the site because of my concerns
at the shocking material readily available on the Internet to children as
well as adults, and as part of my research toward the campaign I had been
putting together since 1995 to counter damage done by all kinds of
pornography on the internet, but especially any involving child abuse". PT
7/5/2003 http://www.petetownshend.co.uk/diary/display.cfm?id=37&zone=pr

I still contend, that we mustn't hold too literally to the notion that Pete
was researching one thing in particular, i.e. his book.  I believe that he
was working on several levels close to the topic at hand.  Some of that was
his job (writing books or music), some was him trying to help friends who
were victims, some was trying to raise money for victims in general, and,
yes, some effort was directed towards solving the larger problem of freely
accessible child porn.  Where did Pete say the research was for a book?

> Wouldn't it be nice if Pete himself made the one small gesture that would
go
> miles at fighting for the "hearts and minds" of the actual victims of
abuse?

I guess.  I thought it showed a lot of integrity to even admit his mistake.
He could have denied the whole thing.

"Bob McLachlan, ex-head of Scotland Yard's paedophilia unit, said Townshend
would never be convicted unless police got hold of his computer."  The Sun
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2003020329,00.html

Jim M