Re: Pete's person

> Ha ha.

Sarcasm?  You know I love you, Jon.  ;-)

> Sometimes my optimistic approach may seem like denial, and maybe it
> is to some extent.

Your opinion is just as worthwhile as mine.  I'm not saying I'm right.
I'm just being honest about how I feel.  Do you think I *want* to be upset
with Pete?

> Pete did something very wrong when he used that card.  He put a gun in
> the hands of many to shoot him with.

Exactly!  That's what has me so frustrated.  All that good he did is mar-
red by that one mistake.  It's so sad.  About him.  ;-/  Sorry.

> What Pete did was probably something that will never go away.

<sigh> Doesn't look like it will.

> I am frustrated because society is so unfair.  Life itself isn't fair.

C'mon, Jon.  If the "research" defense were allowed, many *real* pedophiles
would go unpunished.  The line has to be drawn somewhere.  As beautiful a
human being that Pete is, he's not above the law.

Does heavy-duty gambling-man Bill Bennett not deserve the criticism he's
getting just because he's championed high morality & virtue throughout most
of his life?  Should he "be excused?"

> Pete tried to take on a giant by himself and got crushed by it.

And who's fault was that, Jon.  The giant's fault?  Or Pete's?  Who fucked
up?  (There's your title for the next Who album!)

> He wasn't strong enough to fight this one.

No, he wasn't *smart* enough.  He blew it.  He could've gone about this in
any of a number of other ways than accessing an illegal site.  He crushed
himself.  "Evil" didn't even have to lift a finger.

> But he knew what his intentions were from the outset and society doesn't
> even consider that part.

Because why, Jon?  Because too many actual pedophiles have used the research
defense to try to escape punishment.  Society can't put everything on hold
because of Pete Townshend.  He's a part of society; not the other way
around.

> He should have never done this alone.

No.  Alone is fine.  What he shouldn't have done was access an illegal child
porn site.

> I have been considering what it is that he should do now. I know what I
> would do.

Blast NWA & start mowing people down?  ;-)

> He may not know himself, but this very situation may be exactly what it
> takes to bring such a strong one as Pete to his knees.

Great.  Pete gets religion & I never get to see him play live again.  Who's
gonna answer *my* prayers?!

> He challenged darkness itself, seemingly by himself.

Now *that's* putting a spin on the situation!  One could argue that by
accessing the site he *became* the darkness, via a horrible sin.

> But the good news is that when we realize we are absolute failures,
> and *only* then, will we open up to realize that there is something else
> going on.

If we're absolute failures then how can we be trusted to realize there is
something else "going on?"  Maybe those who believe that are just failing
themselves yet again.

> The only thing that can defeat darkness is Light itself.

So, we Who fans, & Pete's family & friends, all have to suffer this humil-
iation just so Pete can gain "the Light?"  Hardly seems fair.

> I am not discouraged by the dark regions in his soul.  Or in mine.  My
> concern is to open them up that the Light can shine in.

I take it you mean admit your sin.  Admit your transgressions.  Admit your
mistakes.  Good advice for Pete.  Admit your sin, Pete.  Apologize for
fucking up so badly.

> That is why *real* prayer actually changes things.

*Real* prayer?  As opposed to......prayers that don't get answered?  BTW,
your prayers for me have failed miserably.  I'm as atheistic as ever.  And
loving it!  I'm free!!

> When *Light* comes into your analytical psyche, you will be set free from
> the darkness inside.

Knowledge is the Light, Jon.  Science is the Light.  I'm lit!  Literally!
Literally lit!

> For someone to open even a crack is a miracle.

Hey now!  I got a crack for ya'!  ;-o

> I hope that this is Pete's miracle.

I don't.  Instead of ignoring the consequences of his actions & plunging
himself into some self-absorbed religion, I hope Pete apologizes for his
mistake & continues to do what has made me admire him all these years:
making honest, intelligent, & thoughtful music.

> How he fights this legally in public is another matter altogether.

I'm not so sure.  It all looks like one big mess to me.

- SCHRADE in Akron