Re: The Who-Zep connection

>Yes, you did, Mark. This was followed closely by a windmill move by Jimmy as well.

Jon:

I must have missed that, in my rush to post it to the list...

>This is an incredible DVD.

Yes, at the risk of "some" accusing me again of being a ZepHead, I must say that while the CD is a pretty good live offering...sort of their Isle Of Wight (for surely the second disc of BBC Sessions is their LAL), due to the slightly lower production level...the DVD is even better. I COULD do with a few less (insert infinity symbol here) minute versions of Dazed And Confused, but oh well. I was surprised at the performance level of the later material (most bootlegs don't reflect this, with P/P too burnt to be worth much). The weakest part of the DVD is the MSG tracks from the Song Remains The Same movie.

I will also agree with you that the drummers constitued more than a third of each band's sound, as Pete was the weakest of the three musicians in The Who, whereas Jones (while no piker, surely) never really strutted his stuff on bass (not remotely like JAE, but then who could?)...although he was quite a good keyboard player later on. By then, however, Page was getting a bit iffy.

>let's not forget, he was also the big boozer and drug user in the band and died a couple years after keith did. hmmmm.

Joel:

An unfortunate similarity. And there's another that goes along with it: both bands were on the wane when it happened, and due somewhat to the weakening of their drummers.

> I saw him at Jones beach doing it also, when he OPENED for the who!

You mean on last year's tour? Funny. I'm sure he was like: "Oh, SHIT, I've given meself away!"

>I had a chuckle when I saw that. It wasn 't the only RD move
he borrowed. Also, Page was not the first to use a bow on
a guitar either, ever heard of Eddie Phillips of The Creation?

Bruce:

I have heard the band, at least one track (on the Rhino British Rock collection, recommended to anyone who cares anything about British Rock), but didn't know about the bowing.

>Years ago I read an interview with JP Jones and they asked
him if LZ tried to be the next Beatles. He said "No we patterned ourself after The Who". "They were THE UK band that made it in the US by constantly touring."

At least ONE of them had the balls to admit it. You KNOW Page or Plant would NEVER.

Cheers             ML
      An American loses his or her job every 30 seconds
          under Bush, 2.8 million jobs lost so far.