Who/Zep connection

>Years ago I read an interview with JP Jones and they asked
>him if LZ tried to be the next Beatles.
>He said "No we patterned ourself after The Who".

Although I can't cite the sources, it's stuffed in Long Term Memory
somewhere, I remember hearing a couple of interesting Who/Zep
connections.  I was always under the impression that Keith was good
friends with the lads in Zeppelin.  I remember reading (I think in the
Zep bio "Hammer o' the Gods") that Keith would visit with Zep on tour on
occasion.  Specifically, I remember a story about Keith climbing down
the balconies of some hotel Zep was staying in and entering the group's
suite from outside.  He had a few drinks, destroyed their room, and left
via the balcony again.

I've also heard (someone here has to know about this one) that Keith and
Bonham did a drum solo together during a Zep show once.  As the story
goes, Keith was in attendance backstage and was invited by Bonham to
join in.

Finally, I specifically remember reading Pete rip Zeppelin in Rolling
Stone.  I can't quote him directly but it was a one-line opinion of Zep
and it wasn't pretty.  It's the 1989 Who on Ice issue with TED on the
cover.

Jim in Colorado