Re: Opinions Needed ~ Encore Series ~ What To Buy Next ~ Have Irvine

In a message dated 1/18/03 7:26:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
peter_dennis_blandford_townshend@hotmail.com writes:

> Please let me know ASAP due to the notice we all received today about
> the Encore series being put to an end.

Lew,

I have 7 shows. Hershey, Detroit, Grand Rapids, Columbus, Irvine, Mansfield
II, and Toronto.

  I went to the Detroit show and the Grand Rapids show. (also Mansfield 1) .
I have listened to them each at least 8 times and some I have heard about 40
or 50 times.  Based on this I can confidently recommend that you buy:

Toronto.  It is their finest performance.  The sound quality is the best.
Their spirits are up.  Pete does a new interlude at the end of MG before
launching into the pogo jam and WGFA is top notch.  Every song is high energy
with no lulls at all.  This is my go to cd. It starts very loud and ends very
loud.  I can turn it up two more notches on my stereo too!  The others start
to fade and distort a bit at 24.  This one makes it to 26 and is louder to
start with. You will get CHILLS when you hear Pete let the guitar roar on
LROM. I love this cd.  Low point: TKAA not as touching as usual, mainly
history.  Echo on Sparks

Hershey.  They said some funny and interesting things and let it rip heavily.
 The soloing on MG is mind blowing. It is not as good of a sound as Toronto,
but I don't think it is their fault.

Mansfield II.  Similar to Hershey, as they are quite loose, but the music is
not quite as tight as Toronto.  It is sort of like comparing the looseness of
Isle of Wight to the tightness of Live at Leeds.

Detroit and Grand Rapids.  Both incredible shows. Detroit is very solid, but
I think GR is the best of the two. Detroit is a well played show with few
mistakes but there is a feel that is the opening show of a new leg. GR has
that guitar string break in MG that made Pete lose his temper at the
beginning of WGFA.  High energy and awesome crowd even though they are all
farmers.  Very dramatic ending!!!!!!  Get this one. Zak saved the day. TKAA
the most touching of all.  This man remembers what it is like to be young.
Amazing journey/Sparks is KILLER

Irvine.  You know better than I do about this one. It is great as well.  They
seemed to be a bit shaken having followed Las Vegas.  It was like Whew! They
seemed worn out emotionally.  Roger forgot the words in WGFA.  It is very
bassy as well which is not a bad thing.  It has no Eminence Front, but it
does have I'm One!

Columbus.  They seemed a "bit" off on this one, and it is my least favorite,
but hell, it is so good anyhow!  They were on that cramped stage and could
not find the venue. No time for Relay with the strict curfew there.  They
also drive like turtles in Ohio.;)  Pete's words in TKAA made me cry.

I know that these are not that cheap and if money is a bit tight, we have to
choose, but get all that you can.  They are all special and I *do* know the
difference when I hear them even though I do not see the title.

There were no bad shows, only some more unbelievable than others.  My
favorites?  Toronto and Grand Rapids.

I hope this helps!

Jon in Mi.