Re: Townshend Act

Keets wrote:

>I sort of asked for suggestions on how to question the law last night, and I
>did get a couple of very thoughtful answers in.  Brits, please give some
>thoughts to how you would handle these problems and write them up on the
lists.  We in the US can't really understand the social climate in the
different countries, so you will have to come up with the suggestions
(please) and a list of government officials and press folks that might be
suitable to receive and act on them.  Suggestions from the US would be
helpful, as well, as we have similar problems here that could use some
attention.  If it seems a good idea, we can then start a (more relaxed)
email campaign to get the act considered and passed.

>I've been reading through the articles that Brian is so helpfully posting,
and here are some of the issues that seem to emerge:

>1) The repressive quality of current law that makes it illegal to look at
child porn for any reason, and to report it to authorities.

Finding and prosecuting the actual child abusers and producers
of child pornography is apparently hard, so I believe the
easiest way to show the tax-paying public that action is
being taken is to target the demand.

This is what I term the "Lot's Wife" syndrome.

>2) The fact that pedophilila is defined as a crime rather than a sexual
orientation/deviation, which drives the practitioners underground and to
illegal porn based on the exploitation and sometimes violent abuse of
children.  (I think the way pedophilia is treated actually increases the
demand for illegal porn.)

I really think that it is perverse to prey on someone that cannot defend
themselves intellectually or physically.  This is pure brutality.  I sense
that even though it is probably as you say an "orientation/deviation",
because there are victims, often helpless, it has to characterized as a
crime.  I have no doubts that it is a mental abnormality, whether it be
a behavioral or physiological.  IMHO.

>3) The fact that it's open season to harass, persecute, threaten and attack
suspected pedophiles, or to remove their ability to make a living so that
they fall further into violent criminal lifestyles.

Yeah, unfortunately this is a necessary evolutionary step to understanding
that the complete range of human behavior, whether constructive or
destructive is based on meeting one's needs.  There is bound to be
collateral damage as result of trying to protect people from crimes.
I personally am not threatened by pedophiles, they do not want my money,
my house, car, Who CD collection.  If they act out on their desires
and begin to abuse children, that's when I have a problem.

I think that it really SUCKS that Pete has to hire protection for counter
crimes that result from harassment and thuggery.  He has to spend money
that we gave him as repayment for the great work.   It steams me!

>4) The fact that victims of child sexual abuse are still considered somehow
at fault, are discouraged from reporting the abuse, and left to deal with
the problems themselves.

This is true with women rape victims that "go looking for it".  There is
also the stigma that being a victim carries.  That's why Pete is such
an important figure here.   He has been so outspoken about what he believes
happened to him that it has helped people come forward.  What's really
required is an incentive to come forward.  It should be one's freedom from
fear, pain and guilt.  Apparently coming forward is the only way to really
begin the healing process.

>That's all I've thought of for now.  Does anyone have any suggestions on the
above?  Comments?  Agree?  Disagree?  Discussion?  It's tough stuff to think
about, and it will be tough to come up with a decent solution.

What can we do?  We can continue the debate with our circle of friends,
write our congressional representatives, not look the other way!

First they came for Townshend...  Then they came for me.

Joe in Philly

Joe Lewinski
ICANON Associates, Inc.
Phone: 610-313-1850 x 115
Fax: 610-313-1848

NEWZware is a product of ICANON Inc. - Visit our web site at
http://www.icanon.com/ for more information on ICANON, the company, and its
suite of products and services.