Re: Time to whine, but what good will it do?

What is currently unfolding in England has changed that for me, and I've found it very comforting to read the sympathy, compassion and outrage being felt by other fans. First, let me say how impressed I am by the way you have all reacted in such a constructive way to this travesty. Now for my paranoia....
Thank you. I think this is the best Who list around as far as constructive and in-depth discussion goes. It's possible here to get contributions, rather than argument. I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank Paul for letting the discussion go on. These are adult themes, and we do have some younger readers. However, I hope we're setting a good example in the discussion, and also in the way fans have rallied to support what we feel is a good cause. It is possible for a cooperative effort to change the course of history.

I think this is getting ahead of things. Pete is not in the clear yet and we shouldn't be thinking that he is. What he did is apparently illegal and his research defense, while I believe it completely, may not save him legally. I'm concerned that the longer the police take, the more likely it is that they are putting together evidence to bring charges. If they don't, there will be plenty of time for Pete to do the TV show cicuit and become a spokesman against child abuse. I didn't feel this way at first, but I do now. I think most people will believe his defense....as long as he doesn't get charged.
This is certainly crucial to US viewers, as to us, charges mean that the police feel they have enough evidence to convict. If no charges are ever filed, then presumably they didn't find any evidence to support the accusations. The arrest didn't look good, but the fact that no charges were files was a point for fans to work from in the publicity campaign. We did get something in a paper a while back that sounded like a leak that nothing was found. However, I suspect the police want to go through everything carefully and completely so there will be no charges of favoritism because Pete is a celebrity, and so they can say without any doubt what was on the computers, tapes, cds, etc. that they hauled away for review.

Didn't someone say they have a year to file charges? Like everyone else, I certainly hope they hurry this up. Besides the possible loss of charity gigs, if Pete had music in work on the computers, then it's all stalled. I hope he's still got his audio recorder and his guitar. :|

keets